Thursday, August 20, 2009

At long last Emily posts

I'm a luddite when it comes to technology. I don't oppose technology as the term implies but I'm not one to run out and buy the newest thing that happens to come out on the market. To be honest I haven't owned a computer since my days as an undergraduate which was about ten years ago. As a graduate student I just used the computer labs at my department. I've been hesitant to add technology, in particular a personal computer and the internet, to my repertoire of daily activities. I guess my concern is I'll spend more time on the damn computer and less time knitting as well as studying.


Irmy's already got six posts on me...I think this will likely be the norm. Right now I'm still working on my Oregon themed scarf. I went to the annual Black Sheep Gathering in Portland, OR in June and had a wonderful time! This is the Pacific Northwest Mecca for knitters, spinners and weavers and I encourage all of you to go at least once. http://www.blacksheepgathering.org/ I discovered public wireless internet access while in Portland which I thought was a novel idea...best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.


This year I've had to refrain from going to Gibson's Fibre Festival because...gasp...I'm fibered out. I never thought I'd see the day.


Have you all got the fall Interweave Knits?...Oooo! So many cool patterns I am partial to the Trellis and Vine Pullover. I was pouring over knitting and weaving magazines at Chapters and I'm always amazed at some of the monstrosities that make it into certain knitting magazines. I saw one pattern that was for a sunflower scarf...EGAD! It was horrible! Like watching a train wreck it's difficult to look away but I think it could have been the bilious yellow colour they used in the scarf that ensured that it's sheer depravity was into my psyche forever.


I hope everyone is knitting away and I hope you all get your own copies of Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain. Irmy and I went to see their presentation at the Surrey Fibre Arts Festival. http://www.arsenalpulp.com/bookinfo.php?index=294 It's has some really interesting interviews with various yarn bombing groups and some yarn bombers closer to home like Strathcona's KnitGirl. You'll find out how to build your yarn bombing arsenal, and knit some cool yarn bombing patterns as well as ideas to get you started. Irmy and I had our own very cool yarn bombing brain waves while listening to Mandy and Leanne.Stay tuned we may share some of them with you.


Stay posted everyone and don't forget to spread the fibre love to all your friends. To everyone on Ravelry I'll be there soon...I just need to find my password. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment